Thursday, January 24, 2013
"Literacy Behind Bars" (Blog #3)
I'm blogging in response to Malcolm-X's "Literacy Behind Bars" article. I thought it was very interesting because many people take reading and especially the dictionary for granted these days. Many students in school dread the moment they have to pick up the dictionary and even take 10 words and copy them out of it let alone complete sections of words. Regardless this is not true about every student, many do have the passion to learn, but more often than not since we have had education so available the last 30 years to the younger generation they appreciate the ability to learn. Malcolm spoke of staying up late at night and reading with only the little light that came through the prison windows, which these days besides maybe prisoners would be a rare sight. I can even admit myself I take literacy for granted. I only do the work required of me in school and never seem to strive that extra mile to take advantage of what I’m leaning. After reading this article I think I might change my study habits and take charge of learning. I myself even after studying Malcolm-X in school, had any idea that he never completed school past the 8th grade. It just goes to show that even a little self taught knowledge can take you a long way if you just put your all into it. Many people of that time did not like what Malcolm had to say but I thought he was a very brave smart man right along with Martin Luther King Jr.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I always get inspired to try harder after reading this article, too!
ReplyDelete