Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Is Google Making Us Stupid?" (Blog #7)

In the article "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" the author Nicholas Carr talked about how people now can no longer fully comprehend and store the information read from books. We automatically feel more comfortable with reading from screens. I agree 100%. I'll admit I myself even I usually do the skim over text I have to read in school. I also like how he mentioned that even himself as a author finds it harder to read long pieces of writing. That made me wonder if he ever has a hard time reading his own material. And even though the article talked about how we are reading more now than the 70's and 80's when T.V was popular, we now are reading in a different way. We subconsciously try and find the quickest answer that satisfies us and never read in deep thought. The psychologist Maryanne Wolf talked about how reading is not a natural instinct to us. I thought this was intriguing because it has always been sort of a 2nd nature to me; like walking, you don't really have to tell yourself to do it. But she even goes on to talk about people with different native languages produce different mental circuitry in their brains. This effected my overall biggest reaction was realizing how I read can effect the knowledge I gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment